Monday, June 13, 2005

Diet Soda - It's a nasty habit

For the record, I hate hate hate diet cola. I actually hate any "diet" drink. I especially hate diet coke because of the nasty ass after-taste. Oh, you know it! When I was 15 my mother tried to convert me, but I gave up after a month because if I was going to destroy my body with syrup infested, carbonated beverages I was going to do it with the real stuff. I will add a note that my favorite said beverage is Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper, and Chocolate and Vanilla Coke (both the chocolate or vanilla being added by hand, not by machine). I was excited with Coke came out with premade vanilla coke, but it left me feeling the same way I felt when I found a tupperware of my baby teeth in my mothers dresser. Don't ask what I was doing in her dresser - my need to snoop is another issue altogether.
So, Diet-Blog posted an entry about the relation between diet coke drinkers and being overweight and I really want to say that deep down I knew this. In the past 18 months have given up most soda in favor of water, apple juice, and decaf ice tea. Every so often OJ gets in there, but never a flavored water. I also indulge in cherry coke and Dr.P every so often. I am also interested in this Diet Coke with Spelnda, but I dont expect it to taste better than the crapfest called Diet Coke.
Back to the original point - it all got me thinking of the other obesse people I know/knew. One girl I knew in college, Tri we shall call her, was a diet coke adict. She bought cases of the stuff on a weekly basis. That was it though - that was her diet! What was the point then? Actually, many people I know do exactly that - they drink diet coke and eat whatever they damn well please. It makes me happy that I don't like diet colas, at least I can delude myself into thinking diet coke will help me loose weight. I still want to taste the slenda infused diet coke before I write it off - its always best to try something before you poo-poo it.

No comments: