Thursday, May 19, 2005

There is always a first post

I am Sara and I am trying to loose weight. Not just 10 or 15 pounds, but 100 or more. Its going to be a long road and this is trying #2. I need more than just myself for support, so I am trying an weight loss blog.
Step 1: Re-join weight watchers
DONE! This was actually an easy step because I have done this before. It wasn't the program that was the problem last time, it was my motivation. Try #1 happened during a period when I was unemployed. It had time to devote to weight loss and eating properly and I had a roommate who supported me. All of a sudden I was working again, moving to a new town, not making as much money as I thought, and alone. Also, I went from a meeting I loved and a leader who cared to a meeting and leader that was overwhleming and anonymous. At my first meeting the leader ignored me and rushed through the program changes with me (I switched meetings as they switched programs). So it was just too much for me and I decided to try it on my own. Cut to 6 months later or now. I was on the program for about 6 months and lost 20 lbs, but off of the program I gained back 15. I threw my clothes away last time to prevent this from happening. Now my clothes are tight and uncomfortable. I, for the first time in my life, reacted and went back to WW. I can not do it on my own. I have nobody to be accountable too, no support system to encourage me (well, aside from long distance) - I need those meetings! So, I am back on WW.

Step 2: Down with work snacks
This is a two part goal because I currently have two goals. Part one is my main job, the library. While we have snacks on a regular basis, I have found it easier to control my snacking. Part is that I have to find snacks if I want them. I have also made, what I am calling, the never ending fruit salad. I bring some of it to work every day and eating it in the mornings. I have also started bringing my own afternoon snacks. It has helped, but I do indulge when something special is around.
Part 2 is my weekend job at a gas station/dunkin doughnuts. This is what I am having the biggest problem with. First, everything at DD is free for us except a few things. This means I get free doughnuts, muffins, danishes, bagles, coffee, coolatas. I have managed to reduce some of what I eat; instead of a doughnut I eat 1 munchkin, instead of a coffee I get a decaf tea, instead of a small coolata I get a kiddie size. Still, I should not really be eating the munchkin, danishes, muffins at all. Add to this that they trash leftovers at certain points in the day. I hate to see food go to waste (I should work on that too) and they will give me all the left overs if I want them. I tend to take home bagles and freeze them for breakfasts and danishes and bring them to the library on Monday, but its hard to limit myself to just these. I would love to just sit and eat all of it. On the plus side of this, I can not longer digest fried foods. I have at least another month at this job so I need to figure out a way to change this pattern. Maybe if it wasn't free I wouldn't be so inclined to just grab it.

Step 3: Exercise
Ok, this is getting easier and easier. First, I wear my step tracker. I just figured out that it isn't counting right so now it is adjusted and I am counting my steps properly. I am going to count by day from now on. I also got "Walk Away the Pounds" (both the 1 and 2 mile) on DVD. I have been doing the 1 mile all this week except on Fridays and weekends. I am aiming to do the DVD every day regardless of the exercise I get. Part of me wants to start swimming again, but I can't afford the gym membership at the moment and my suit is a skit one that is not idea for actual swimming. I am looking for a swimming suit to wear in the pool, but for now I am sticking with the DVD. At my first WW meeting, the leader spoke about doing something fun. I am going to put together a mix of dance songs I like and maybe start dancing around my apartment.

Step 4: Journaling
I need to start journaling my food and that is probably the first thing I forget to do each week. I even bought one that only requires dry erase markers. I am going to try and do it this week. No, I am going to do it this week!

Short term goal: 5 lbs

No comments: