Monday, May 23, 2005

Number of Points: Never Again

Weekend jobs, especially those that are second jobs, are really no fun. I do 8 hour shifts at my "career" and then more 8 hour shifts on the weekends. I get very little done and I eat like crap. The eating like crap problem arises more from where I work rather than the simple fact that I do work on weekends. See, on weekends I work at a gas station with a Dunkin Doughnuts in it. I have to pay for all the "gas station food": chips, soda, candy, sandwiches, etc. All the food from D.D. is free (with exception of a few things). When I started the job I "forgot" about my need to eat right and this is when I put back the majority of the weight I took off. I ate doughnuts, bagels, danishes, apple pies. I drank tea (decaf with splenda- my only "healthy" choice") and coolatas. I discovered that my body no longer enjoys digesting fried food as well. This cut out 99% of the doughnuts (I can still work with those chocolate cake ones). Still, would you pay money for food when you can get it for free? Would you prepare food at home when you can get it for free at work?
These two questions are my biggest problem. To answer the later question: no, I should not have to pay for food when i can get it for free. The answer to number two is: yes, I should still prepare food from home when I can get it for free at work.
Over the past few weeks I came up with a few solutions to my problems. First, I brought snacks from home to curb my general snacking at work. This did help cut down my desire to have doughnuts and such. I found that if I wanted something from D.D. I could just grab a munchkin and be content as well. Second, I made sure I brought lunch from home at least 1 day out of the two.
Ok, so cut to this weekend. My schedule was a bit different. Rather than working an 8 hour day shift, Saturday was an 8 hour evening shift (1-9). This throws everything off. I ended up eating my prepared dinner (at 3pm), all my snacks and then some. I was starving by 8pm and hunger makes me stupid. I ordered a sausage, egg and cheese on a something bad for me. This morning when I looked up the points (yep, a full day and then some later) I realized that there is no way to easily calculate them - they are that high. So, I added a billion to my journal with a note that says "NEVER AGAIN". I sort of realized this when I ate it, but I ate my urge. So, to combat this moment of immaturity I took it upon myself to find a better solution on Sunday. My solution was this: bagel and cream cheese are better for you. This is true; a D.D. bagel and cream cheese is better than a "heart attack" sandwhich. This is also a lie as one of their bagels is 6 points and their cream cheese is 4. Its not filling enough for 10pts. This also got a note in my jounral that says "NEVER AGAIN". So, now I have to find something to do with all the bagels sitting in my freezer. I may keep them, but only eat 1/2 of each at a time. My cream cheese is 2pts and that makes me feel better.
Still, this is a good step forward because these shifts at the gas station have been screwing me up... oh that and my normal lunch. It has more points than I realized.

No comments: